Amir Gilboa: Isaac (From Modern Hebrew)

By Amir Gilboa
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click here to hear me recite the Hebrew

Toward morning, the sun strolled out in the forest
Together with me and father,
My right hand in his left.

A knife like lightning flamed out through the woods and the wood,
And I was so scared of my eyes' terror, facing the blood on the leaves.

Father! Father! Come quick and save Isaac
And nobody will be missing at lunchtime.

It is I who am slaughtered, my son
And my blood is already on the Reich of the leaves.
And father's voice was smothered
And his face pale.

And I wanted to scream, writhing against belief,
As I ripped my eyes open.
And I awoke.

And my right hand was out of blood and time.

The Original:

אמיר גלבע

לפנות בוקר טילה שמש בתוך היער
יחד עמי ועם אבא
וימיני בשמאלו

כברק להבה מאכלת בין העצים.
ואני ירא כל–כך עת פחד עיניי מול דם על העלים.

אבא אבא מהר והצילה את יצחק
ולא יחסר איש בסעודת הצהרים.

זו אני הנשחט בני,
וכבר דמי על העלים.
ואבא נסתם קולו.
ופניו חורים.

ורציתי לצעוק, מפרפר לא להאמין
וקורע העיניים.

ואזלת–דם הייתה יד ימין.

1 comment:

  1. I find it a great translation! I'm an hebrew student at the university of Venice, and in our classes of literature we talked a lot about Gilboa and Grinberg (or Greenberg) poems for the Holocaust. It's a short and catastrophic description of what meant losing an entire Jewish World, the Jewish world of the Fathers. Thanks a lot for the commentary!


There was an error in this gadget