Psalm 23: "Yahweh the Shepherd" (From Biblical Hebrew)


Yahweh the Shepherd
Psalm 23
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Yahweh shepherds me: I want for naught.
He lets me lie down in grassy meadows,
He guides me out by placid waters.
He brings my life back.
He leads me on straight footpaths of Justice
For the sake of his name.

Though I should tread in the death-shadowed dells
I dread no evil: for you are at my side.
Your shepherd's crook, Your walking-staff...
These things are my solace.

You lay out a table to feed me
Right in the face of my foes
You moisten my head with ointment.
My cup overflows.
Let naught but goodness and kindness flock after me
All the days of my life.
And the House of Yahweh shall be my abode
For all days evermore.


The Original

יְהוָה רֹעִי, לֹא אֶחְסָר.
בִּנְאוֹת דֶּשֶׁא, יַרְבִּיצֵנִי;
עַל-מֵי מְנֻחוֹת יְנַהֲלֵנִי.
נַפְשִׁי יְשׁוֹבֵב;
יַנְחֵנִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי-צֶדֶק,
לְמַעַן שְׁמוֹ.
גַּם כִּי-אֵלֵךְ
בְּגֵיא צַלְמָוֶת,
לֹא-אִירָא רָע--
כִּי-אַתָּה עִמָּדִי;
שִׁבְטְךָ וּמִשְׁעַנְתֶּךָ,
הֵמָּה יְנַחֲמֻנִי.

תַּעֲרֹךְ לְפָנַי, שֻׁלְחָן--
נֶגֶד צֹרְרָי;
דִּשַּׁנְתָּ בַשֶּׁמֶן רֹאשִׁי,
כּוֹסִי רְוָיָה.
אַךְ, טוֹב וָחֶסֶד יִרְדְּפוּנִי
כָּל-יְמֵי חַיָּי;
וְשַׁבְתִּי בְּבֵית-יְהוָה,
לְאֹרֶךְ יָמִים.

1 comment:

  1. Yahweh is my shepherd; I am not in need
    In fields of green grass he pastures me
    Beside restful waters he leads me along
    He brings back my courage, and sets me upright
    Helps me find footpaths that are truly secure
    In order to build trust in his good reputation
    Even entering a ravine with death in the shadows
    I will not be afraid of any danger
    For You are right here with me
    Your sidearm and your shepherd's crook
    They give me a sense of comfort
    You prepare a plateau, spread out before me
    In spite of all those who harass me
    You oil with ointment the top of my head
    My watering trough is overflowing
    Only good and consideration pursue me
    Every day of my long life
    And I will be at rest in Yahweh's house
    For drawn-out days to come

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget