Claudio Rodríguez: "Aubade: Without Laws" (From Spanish)

Aubade: Without Laws
By Claudio Rodríguez
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

"Now the cocks crow.
My love, go.
Take good heed of dawn."
— Anonymous

On this bed where dreamy sleep is sorrow
this bed of no rest but a good day's work,
the late night overtakes us. Is the body
the question or the answer to so much
uncertain luck? A small, dry cough; a pulse
that comes out fresher and extinguishes
all the old ceremony of the flesh,
while there are no more words or gestures left
to go back and interpret the same scene
like novices. I love you. It's that evil
time for courtly unloveliness. So present
I hold you that my body finishes
in your tan body at whose hands one more
one more time I lose myself, and tomorrow
will lose my Self again. The night is over
like a war without heroes, like a peace
without alliances. And I love you.
I look for spoils. I look for a broken
medal, for a live trophy of this time
they want to steal from us. Now you are tired
and I love you. It's time. Will our flesh be
the compensation, the careening shrapnel
that justifies so much sheer struggle with
no victors and no vanquished? Be quiet.
For I love you. It's time. A tremulous
dawn enters. Never was a light so early.

The Original:

Sin Leyes
Claudio Rodríguez

Ya cantan los gallos,
amor mío. Vete:
cata que amanece.
— Anónimo

En esta cama donde el sueño es llanto,
no de reposo, sino de jornada,
nos ha llegado la alta noche. ¿El cuerpo
es la pregunta o la respuesta a tanta
dicha insegura? Tos pequeña y seca,
pulso que viene fresco ya y apaga
la vieja ceremonia de la carne
mientras no quedan gestos ni palabras
para volver a interpretar la escena
como noveles. Te amo. Es la hora mala
de la cruel cortesía. Tan presente
te tengo siempre que mi cuerpo acaba
en tu cuerpo moreno por el que una
una vez mas me pierdo, por el que mañana
me perderé. Como una guerra sin
héroes, como una paz sin alianzas,
ha pasado la noche. Y yo te amo.
Busco despojos, busco una medalla
rota, un trofeo vivo de este tiempo
que nos quieren robar. Estás cansada
y yo te amo. Es la hora. ¿Nuestra carne
será la recompensa, la metralla
que justifique tanta lucha pura
sin vencedores ni vencidos? Calla,
que yo te amo. Es la hora. Entra y un trémulo
albor. Nunca la luz fue tan temprana.

No comments:

Post a Comment