Nawal Naffaa: Slip (From Arabic)

Slip
By Nawal Naffaa
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the Arabic

I count up the corpses and aircraft
Falling in pieces from the news
I count the bullets that are exhumed,
The bullets that are buried
And the bullets preparing
To be shot loose.
I follow the ritual of food.
I finish my plate
By eating the plate
After a day of hard labor.

When did I get this heartless?
Tomorrow, make room in a corner of your chest
Where I can cry
And I just might exhume the corpses from my chest
And prepare rituals
For their proper burials.



The Original:

عثرة

اعُدّ الجثث والطائرات
المتساقطة من نشرات الاخبار
اعد الرصاصات المنزوعة
الرصاصات المدفونة
والرصاصات الجاهزة
للاطلاق
واتابع طقوس الطَعام
آتي على الطبق
آكل الطبق
بعد يوم عمل شاق!

متى اصبحت قاسية هكذا؟
غداً أفسِح لي ركناً في صدركَ
كي ابكي هناك
فقد انزِع الجثث من صدري
وأُعِدّ طقوساً لائقةً لدفنها

No comments:

Post a Comment