Gabriel Preil: Self-Courtesy (From Hebrew)

Self-Courtesy
By Gabriel Preil
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I was a boat, and well at anchor
In a pink fishing village in Maine-
And not some woodchip adrift and pale
On the Bronx's darkling waves.

Nailed to a flat plain coffee-shop back here
Sipping cola through a straw, I'm free
To ignore my patches. Here at least
I can show myself some courtesy.

Eyes full of a suspicious cloud,
In Jerusalem I disavowed
My title of nobility.
Here in New York I can be
A threadbare jacket hanging on my hanger.


The Original:

אדיב לעצמי
גבריאל פרייל

הייתי סירה עוננת
בכפר דייגים מוריד במין–
לא איזה שבב צף מחויר
על גל בברונקס משחיר

אני נעוץ בבית–קפה רדוד
לוגם קולה בקש. איני
שם לב לטלאי זה או אחר
אנסה להיות אדיב עם עצמי

את תואר האצולה שלי
זנחתי בירושליים
ענן חשוד בעיניים
בניו–יורק אני מעיל דק
תלוי על קולב.

No comments:

Post a Comment