J.V. Foix: My Lord God (From Catalan)

Lord God
J.V. Foix
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Lord God, make my work hard and give me more.
Darken the night and keep the landscape sealed.
Raise walls against me on a harsher shore,
And weave your work on forestland and field.

Hands tied and dry as Hindus’, let me see
You clad in skins. Cut fissures for your dew
Into my mind! I am the Nobody
Who yell in tears and yell the name of You.

I’ll be a common serf for you, Dear God.
Raping the field and gleaning in the sod,
My lowly body burdened and diseased,

I'm free if in the blackest depths your eye
Illumines with its gaze the worlds where I 
Take my delight in you, and life is eased. .


The Original:

Senyor Déu

Feu, Senyor Déu, el meu treball més dur,
Fosca la nit, i el paisatge més clos,
Alceu-me murs en un ribatge cru,
Empal'lieu forests, prades i flors.
Lligat de mans i sec com un hindú,
Vestit de pells, obriu al Vostre ròs
La meva ment! Entre tots, só ningú,
I Us dic el nom sense repòs, i amb plors.

Só el serf comú si així Us plau, Senyor Déu,
I en camps forçats o en foradats pregons,
Plagat de cos i amb fardells damunt meu,
Em sé llibert si en el més negre fons
Els Vostres ulls il·luminen els mons
Que amb Vós delesc, i em fan el viure lleu.

No comments:

Post a Comment