Goethe: Found (From German)

Found
By Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original German

Into the woodland,
Alone I went.
To look for nothing
Was my intent.

But saw a flower
Deep in the plants:
It gleamed like starlight,
Glowed like a glance.

I reached to pluck it
When its dear lilt
Said: Would you snap me
To see me wilt?

So up I dug it
With roots and all
And brought it home to
The garden wall.

In a calm corner
I planted it.
Now it blooms always,
Grows ever yet.


The Original:

Gefunden

Ich ging im Walde
So für mich hin,
Und nichts zu suchen,
Das war mein Sinn.

Im Schatten sah ich
Ein Blümchen stehn,
Wie Sterne leuchtend
Wie Äuglein schön.

Ich wollt es brechen,
Da sagt' es fein:
Soll ich zum Welken,
Gebrochen sein?

Ich grubs mit allen
Den Würzeln aus,
Zum Garten trug ichs
Am hübschen Haus.

Und pflanzt es wieder
Am stillen Ort;
Nun zweigt es immer
Und blüht so fort.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful translation!

    ReplyDelete