Malka Tussman: Speechless Water (From Yiddish)

Born in Bolshaya-Chaitcha in 1896 in Ukraine, Malka Tussman came to the US at the age of 17 via Ellis Island. She studied at the University of Wisconsin, and became a schoolteacher in Milwaukee. She later moved to Los Angeles. Finding the culture of fabrication there unbearable, she finally settled in Berkley, California. 

Speechless Water
By Malka Tussman
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

The sea
ripped a rib from its side
and said:
lie down there,
be a sign unto me that I
am great,
that I am mighty.
be a sign unto me.

The canal at my window lies

What can be sadder
Than speechless water?

The Original:

וואסער אן לשון
 מלכה כייפעץ טוסמאן

דער ים
האט פון זיין זייט
א ריפ ארויסגעריסן
און געזאגט:
לייג זיך דארטן,
זיי מיר א סימן אז איך בין
מעכטיק בינ איך.
זיי מיר א סימן.

ליגט דער קאנאל ביי מיינע פענצטער

וואס קען נאך טרויעריקער זיין
ווי וואסער
אן לשון

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget