Yehuda HaLevi: My Heart is in the East (From Medieval Hebrew)

This poem, the first from the poet's cycle מכבל ערב mikkevel ˁarav "Out of Arabian Bonds", is one of his most famous today because, as one of his poems of yearning to return to the Land of Israel, it has warmed the cockles of many a modern Zionist's heart, and is even taught to Israeli highschool students today. Indeed, Yehuda HaLevi (in a questionable retroactive projection of modern political identity) is often touted as "the first Zionist," sometimes even by scholars who really should know better.

My Heart Is In The East
By Yehuda HaLevi
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

My heart is in the east, and the rest of me at the edge of the west.
How can I taste the food I eat? How can it give me pleasure? 
How can I keep my promise now, or fulfill the vows I've made
While Zion remains in the Cross's reign1, and I in Arab chains? 
With pleasure I would leave behind all the good things of grand Spain,
If only I could gaze on the dust of our ruined Holy Place.

Note:

1- The poet had made a vow to leave Spain behind and journey to Jerusalem, which was at the time held by the Crusaders. The Crusaders, when they took the city of Jerusalem in 1099, had forbidden Jews to reside there.

The Original:

לבי במזרח
יהודה הלוי

לִבִּי בְמִזְרָח וְאָנֹכִי בְּסוֹף מַעֲרָב
אֵיךְ אֶטְעֲמָה אֵת אֲשֶׁר אֹכַל וְאֵיךְ יֶעֱרָב
אֵיכָה אֲשַׁלֵּם נְדָרַי וָאֱסָרַי, בְּעוֹד
צִיּוֹן בְּחֶבֶל אֱדוֹם וַאֲנִי בְּכֶבֶל עֲרָב
יֵקַל בְּעֵינַי עֲזֹב כָּל טוּב סְפָרַד, כְּמוֹ
יֵקַר בְּעֵינַי רְאוֹת עַפְרוֹת דְּבִיר נֶחֱרָב.


Romanization:

Libbi bǎmizraħ wǎ’anoxi bǎsof maʕǎrab
Ex eṭʕǎma eθ ašer oxal wǐ’ex yeʕěrab
Exa ǎšallem nǎðaray we’ěsaray, bǔʕoð
ṣiyyon běħebel ěðom wa’ǎni bǎxebel ʕǎrab.
Yeqal běʕenay ʕǎzob kol ṭob sǎfarað kǎmo
Yeqar běʕenay rǔ’oθ ʕafroθ dǎbir neħěrab

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget