Avot Yeshurun: In The City Of The Judges (From Hebrew)

In The City of the Judges
Avot Yeshurun
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Fragrant is my father's talis,
Sheathes me like a talisman.
The spirit of Elder Israel is
In the talis of taʿal-ismaʿ.

Mighty is my father's talis
Set loose on me who cannot hear.
For fear the Kaʿba's hallows
Drown my brow on stone. For fear.

My father my fear
Lay your hand upon my neck and hear....

I found a ram's horn yesterday.
Far in the south His deserts lie.
Judge, you in Jerusalem,
Whether the horn's neck was not I...

I found a ram's horn yesterday.
The horn for me? Beneath my star?
Judge, you in Jerusalem,
Whether I found my true shofar.

The Original:


בְּעִיר הַשּׁוֹפְטִים

רֵיחָנִית טַלִּית אַבָּא

קְרוּמָה עָלַי כְּמִין טַלִּיסְמָא.

וְרוּחַ יִשְׂרָאֵל סָבָא

בְּטַלִּיתוֹ שֶׁל כָּל “תַּעַל אִשְׂמַע!


אַדִּירִים טַלִּית אַבָּא,

פְּרוּעָה עָלַי, מִי לֹא שׁוֹמֵעַ.

פֶּן אֲנִי לַכַּעְבֶּה,

פֶּן אֲנִי מִצְחִי טוֹבֵעַ…


אַבָּא מוֹרְאִי,

שְׁלַח יָדְךָ לְצַוָּארִי…


תְּמוֹל מָצָאתִי קֶרֶן אַיִל,

הַרְחֵק בַּנֶּגֶב מִדְבָּרוֹ.

שִׁפְטוּ אַתֶּם בִּירוּשָׁלַיִם,

אִם לֹא הָיִיתִי צַוָּארוֹ…


תְּמוֹל מָצָאתִי קֶרֶן אַיִל,

אוּלַי הַקֶּרֶן עֲבוּרִי.

שִׁפְטוּ אַתֶּם בִּירוּשָׁלַיִם

אִם לֹא מָצָאתִי שׁוֹפָרִי.

No comments:

Post a Comment