Lorca: Ghazal of the Terrible Presence (From Spanish)

Ghazal of the Terrible Presence
By Federico García Lorca
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I would have the water reft from its bed,
I would have the wind bereft of its dell,

The eyes of the night cleft down from its brow
And my heart bereft of the golden flower;

The huge leaves hear what the oxen say
And the earthworm die of overshade ;

The teeth that hang in the skullmouth glint
And a gush of yellow flood out the silk.

I can see the wounded night in its duel
Writhing against the impending noon.

I resist a green sunset of venomed skies
And the ruined arch of suffering time.

But don't shine your immaculate nude at me
Like a black cactus opening out in the reeds.

Leave me with my dark planets, let me ache
But don't you dare teach me the cool of your waist!

The Original:

Gacela de la Terrible Presencia

Yo quiero que el agua se quede sin cauce,
yo quiero que el viento se quede sin valles.

quiero que la noche se quede sin ojos
y mi corazón sin flor del oro;

que los bueyes hablen con las grandes hojas
y que la lombriz se muera de sombra;

que brillen los dientes de la calavera
y los amarillos inunden la seda.

puedo ver el duelo de la noche herida
luchando enroscada con el mediodía.

resiste un ocaso de verde veneno
y el arco roto donde sufre el tiempo.

pero no ilumines tu limpio desnudo
como un negro cactus abierto en los juncos.

déjame en un ansia de oscuros planetas,
pero no me enseñes tu cintura fresca.

No comments:

Post a Comment