Samih al-Qasim: Travel Tickets (From Arabic)



Travel Tickets
By Samih al-Qasim
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original Arabic
Click to hear me recite this translation in English

The day I'm killed,
my killer, rifling through my pockets,
will find travel tickets:
One to peace,
one to the fields and the rain,
and one
to the conscience of humankind.

Dear killer of mine, I beg you:
Do not stay and waste them.
Take them, use them.
I beg you to travel.



The Original:
تذاكر سفر

وعندما أٌقتَل في يومٍ من الأيام
سيَعثُر القاتل في جيبي
على تذاكِرِ السفر:
واحدة الى السلام
واحدة الى الحقول والمطر
واحدة
الى ضمائر البشر

ارجوك الّا تُهمِل التذاكر
يا قاتلي العزيز
ارجوك ان تسافر

3 comments:

  1. This poem is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love it. Where do you pick your poems from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly moving as I have just returned from Palestine. This left me in tears as did my trip to see a suffering people living under an extreme and intrusive high-tech occupation -- being punished for being who they are, the indigenous people of Palestine who refuse to give up their attachment to the land, the olive trees, their homes and communities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't start it please. The "indigenous" people of Palestine are no more.

    ReplyDelete

Share it