Charles Ducal: Incomplete (From Dutch)

Incomplete
By Charles Ducal
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original Dutch

At times, when there is nothing in me,
It happens to me: from the crowd
Along the street a long-lapsed voice
Sounds out again and watches me.

Then it's as if I've lost my way
And must head back to the old house
In its original full state
Before my hands had hollowed it out.

Amid the kept accounts and garbage cans,
There's one more thing to be retrieved,
A thing undone, a thing unplanned,
A thing I left behind so I could leave.

At times, when there is nothing in me,
It lightly brushes by my ear,
And fills my eyes and fills my voice like ink;
So incomplete. But going back

Just isn't me.


The Original:

Onvoltooid
Charles Ducal

Soms, als ik zonder inhoud ben,
gebeurt het mij dat uit de menigte
op straat een lang gedoofde stem
weer opklinkt en mij gadeslaat.

Dan is het of ik ben verdwaald
en terug moet keren naar het huis
in zijn oorspronkelijke staat,
vóór het door mij werd opgeruimd.

Of uit de boekhouding, de vuilniszak
nog iets moet worden opgediept,
iets onverrekends, iets onafs,
dat ik om weg te kunnen achterliet.

Soms, als ik zonder inhoud ben,
strijkt het toevallig langs mijn oor
en vult als inkt mijn ogen en mijn stem,
zo onvoltooid. Maar teruggaan

doe ik nooit.

No comments:

Post a Comment