Salman Masalha: Writing Modern Hebrew (From Hebrew)

Writing Modern Hebrew
By Salmān Maṣālħa
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I am writing in the Hebrew tongue,
Which is not my mother tongue,
The better to get lost in the world.
He that does not get lost 
Will never find the whole piece. 
Because everybody has the same
Feet going stop by stop,
Fro and to. 

And sometimes I write Hebrew to 
Cool the blood that bursts forth 
To no end from my heart. I have stored
Treasure galore in the coffers laid
In my locked chest, but colors, the shade 
Of night spread over the exposed walls,
Peel without ever knowing what all
This wonder is

And I write Hebrew, too, to
Get lost in my words, and on top
Of it all, to find some interest 
In my steps. My walking never stopped.
Many are the paths where I have walked,
Digging my engraving with my own hands. 
I'll take my feet in hand and meet many 
People. And make friends of each. 
Who is the stranger
Of us? Who is close? Who is far? Who is one?
There's no strangeness in the nonsense under the sun. 
For strangeness in large part
Lies in man's heart. 

The Original:


אני כותב עברית
סלמאן מצאלחה

אני כותב בלשון העברית
שבשבילי איננה שפת אם, 
כדי ללכת לאבוד בעולם. 
מי שלא הולך לאבוד לא
ימצא את השלם.
כי אותן האצבעות בכף
הרגל לכלם. ואותו אגודל
שהולך לצד עקב.

ועברית, לפעמים, אני כותב
כדי לצנן את הדם שנגר ללא
הרף מן הלב. חדרים יש
בשפע בארמון שבניתי בתוך
בית החזה. ואולם, הצבעים
של הלילה שנמרח על קירות
חשופים, מתקלפים בלי לדעת
מהו הפלא הזה.

ואני כותב עברית, כדי ללכת
לאבוד בדבריי. ובין השאר,
גמ למצא קצת ענין למדרך
הרגליים. עוד לא תמו צעדיי.
מא רבים השבילים שחרשתי.
נחרתו בידיי. עוד אשא את
רגליי בידיים, ואפגוש בהרבה
אנשים…וכלם אעשה ידידיי.
מיהו זר? מי רחוק וקרוב?
אין זרות בהבלי העולם. 
כי זרות, על פי רוב,
יש בלב האדם.

No comments:

Post a Comment