Rosalía de Castro: "I was born..." (From Galician)

"I was born..."
By Rosalía de Castro
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I was born when plants were born
In a month when gardens grew,
In a dawn so very gentle
In a dawning April's dew.

That’s the reason why I’m Rosa
With a smile gone red with rue,
Bristling thorns for everybody,
Never, though, a thorn for you.
Ah but on that day I fell in
Unthanked love with you, I threw
Half my life away, believing
That the other half was you.
Why then this complaining Mauro?
Why the rage? You know it’s true-
If my dying made you happy,
I would happily die for you.
Still you stab me with that dagger
With your words you run me through,
Not a clue of what you wanted
What with all you made me do.
All I had to give I gave you
In my hungering for you.

Now my shuttered heart I send you
With the only master key.
There's no more for me to give you
Nor for you to ask of me.


The Original:

"Nasín cand' as prantas nasen"

Nasín cand' as prantas nasen,
No mes das froles nasín,
Nunha alborada mainiña,
Nunha alborada d'abril.
Por eso me chaman Rosa,
Mais á do triste sorrir,
Con espiñas para todos,
Sin ningunha para ti.
Dés que te quixen, ingrato,
Todo acabou para min,
Que eras ti para mín todo,
Miña groria e meu vivir.
¿De qué, pois, te queixas, Mauro?
¿De qué, pois, te queixas, di,
Cando sabes que morrera
Por te contemplar felís?
Duro cravo me encravaches
Con ese teu maldesir,
Con ese teu pedir todo
Que non sei qué quer de min,
Pois dinche canto dar puden
Avariciosa de ti,

O meu coraçón che mando
C'unha chave para ó abrir;
Nin eu teño máis que darche,
Nin ti máis que me pedir.

No comments:

Post a Comment