Dafydd ap Gwilym: The Seagull (From Welsh)

The Seagull
By Dafydd ap Gwilym
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Seagull floating on the seething tideflow,
White as moonlight or wild snow,
Moving in beauty immaculate, 
As a sunbeam-shard or sea-gauntlet,
Lightly skimming  the swell windward,
Swift fish-eating stately bird
Wont to angle at anchor with me
Side by side there, a sea-lily,
Shining letter  in silvered text,
A nun atop the sea-tide's crest. 

Perfect girl-symbol  worth praise in art,
Go for the curves of castle and rampart.
Keep looking, seagull,  till you light on her
Gorgeous as Igraine,   on the grand tower.
Speak my words  in sweet concord.
Let her choose me  and love my word.
If you see her alone  (since success
With so rare a girl  takes real deftness)
Then get some nerve to greet her. Say I,
A well-bred lad, must win her or die. 
I love that girl,  my guard of vigor.
No lover has loved  a lovelier
I'm telling you, men.  Not Taliesin
Nor flattery-lipped lusty Merlin.
Such a man-stopper with copper hair
And superlative form far too proper.

Oh yes, good gull  if you do come
To that most charming cheek  in Christendom,
Unless she answers  my love kindly
That girl will mean the end of me.

Audio of me reading the original Welsh:

The Original:

Yr Wylan

Yr wylan deg ar lanw, dioer,
Unlliw ag eiry neu wenlloer,
Dilwch yw dy degwch di,
Darn fel haul, dyrnfol heli.
Ysgafn ar don eigion wyd,
Esgudfalch edn bysgodfwyd.
Yngo'r aud wrth yr angor
Lawlaw â mi, lili môr.
Llythr unwaith lle'th ariannwyd,
Lleian ym mrig llanw môr wyd.

Cyweirglod bun, cai'r glod bell,
Cyrch ystum caer a chastell.
Edrych a welych, wylan,
Eigr o liw ar y gaer lân.
Dywaid fy ngeiriau dyun,
Dewised fi, dos hyd fun.
Byddai'i hun, beiddia'i hannerch,
Bydd fedrus wrth fwythus ferch
Er budd; dywaid na byddaf,
Fwynwas coeth, fyw onis caf.
Ei charu'r wyf, gwbl nwyf nawdd,
Och wŷr, erioed ni charawdd
Na Merddin wenithfin iach,
Na Thaliesin ei thlysach.
Siprys dyn giprys dan gopr,
Rhagorbryd rhy gyweirbropr.

Och wylan, o chai weled
Grudd y ddyn lanaf o Gred,
Oni chaf fwynaf annerch,
Fy nihenydd fydd y ferch.

No comments:

Post a Comment