Lamartine: The Sails (From French)

Lamartine is often thought of as France's premier Romantic poet.  But the following poem, written toward the end of his life and never published until a century after his death, brings the "Romantic" sentiment full circle, reacting against the more gushygut aspects of Romanticism in the same way that Romanticism had once reacted against the worn-out tropes of neoclassicism. It is the prelude to Baudelaire.

The Sails
Alphonse de Lamartine
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click here to hear me recite the original French

When I was young and proud and spread the wide
Wings of my soul to seawinds, I let go
As sails swept all my thoughts away with them,
Dreams wavering with bitter waves below.

Through that great haze where the horizon drowns,
I saw rise many a jasmined, vine-green land:
Islands of joy and continents of life
Where love and glory called to take my hand.

I envied every ship that blanched the billows,
Gladly aspiring to a coast unknown.

Now, sitting on this smoking bit of headland
I've crossed those waves and have returned alone.

Still do I love those seas I loved of old,
No more as my dear dreams' unbounded plains,
But as a plain of death where my strewn wings
All round reveal to me my gored remains.

This rough reef smashed me. Baleful rose this bank.

In frauds of calm my fortune blew apart.
Here heavens' rainbow shot me with bolt lightning.
And these waves each roll something of my heart.



The Original:

Certes, l'on dit souvent que Lamartine fut le poète romantique par excellence de la France, mais le poème suivant, écrit vers la fin de sa vie et jamais publié qu'un siècle après la mort du poète, boucle la boucle romantique en réagissant contre les aspects mièvres du romantisme de même que le romantisme avait autrefois réagi contre les clichés usés du neoclassicisme. Ce poème-ci sert de prélude de l'âge de Baudelaire.

Les voiles

Quand j'étais jeune et fier et que j'ouvrais mes ailes,
Les ailes de mon âme à tous les vents des mers,
Les voiles emportaient ma pensée avec elles,
Et mes rêves flottaient sur tous les flots amers.

Je voyais dans ce vague où l'horizon se noie
Surgir tout verdoyants de pampre et de jasmin
Des continents de vie et des iles de joie
Où la gloire et l'amour m'appelaient de la main.

J'enviais chaque nef qui blanchissait l'écume,
Heureuse d'aspirer au rivage inconnu,
Et maintenant, assis au bord du cap qui fume,
J'ai traversé ces flots et j'en suis revenu.

Et j'aime encor ces mers autrefois tant aimées,
Non plus comme le champ de mes rêves chéris,
Mais comme un champ de mort où mes ailes semées
De moi-même partout me montrent les débris.

Cet écueil me brisa, ce bord surgit funeste,
Ma fortune sombra dans ce calme trompeur ;
La foudre ici sur moi tomba de l'arc céleste
Et chacun de ces flots roule un peu de mon coeur.

No comments:

Post a Comment