Nizar Qabbani: And I Decided (From Arabic)

And I Decided
By Nizar Qabbani
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click here to hear me recite the Arabic

And I decided to go
Round the world on freedom's bicycle
By ways illegal
As the travels of wind.
When asked for my address
I give the address of all sidewalks
I chose as permanent residence.
When asked for my papers,
I show them your eyes
And am allowed to pass
For they know that travel in the cities of your eyes, my dear,
Is the right of all world citizens.

The Original:

وقررت
نزار قباني

وقررت
أن أطوفَ العالمَ على درّاجة الحرِّية..
وبنفسِ الطريقةِ غيرِ الشرعيِّة
التي تستعملها الريح عندما تسافر..
وإذا سأَلوني
عن عُنواني
أعطيتُهم عنوانَ كلِّ الأرصِفة
التي اخترتها مكاناً دائماً لإقامتي.
وإذا سألوني عن أوراقي
أريتُهُم عينيكِ، يا حبيبتي..
فَتَرَكوني أمرّ..
لأنهم يعرفونَ أنَّ السفر في مدائن عينيكِ..
من حق جميع المواطينَ في العالم

2 comments:

  1. wowwwwwwww
    this is great!! thank u for showing me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do you know الوردة الدَّمشقية of Nizar Qabbani, could you write?
    Thank you,
    Giovanna
    (airamoig@tin.it)

    ReplyDelete