Kadya Molodowsky: My Paper Bridge (From Yiddish)

This poem was written in 1930 and focuses on the growing poverty Molodowsky perceived around her. Regarding the title, legend has it that when the Messiah comes, the Jews will cross into Paradise over a bridge made of paper. 

My Paper Bridge
By Kadya Molodowsky
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

She crossed my paper bridge today (yes,
The one I cross into happiness)
A woman some sixty or so years old,
With bare feet, bitten by the cold.

We met each other and stayed there a while, just so. 
- I, just because I had nowhere else to go- 
And she spoke as if to me and herself, not of news,
But of bread, of wood, of shoes.

My paper bridge, I built it -it's true-
When not just the sky, but my eyes turned blue,
And the sun turned into a golden wheel
Along a path that lead to my heels. 

I kept thinking about a house and a bed
And golden days and starburst nights,
Kept thinking about a husband and child
Brown summers' shades, and green springs' light. 

I kept thinking about a road and a letter,
A wave-laden sea and a ship that shone,
Kept thinking about the songs of the train
And night-blue sailors from parts unknown.

But I didn't think of shoes for this woman sixty years old
And today she and I stood, chatting here, just so,
She about shoes, since her bones were bitten cold
And I, just because I had nowhere else to go.

-1930


The Original:

מײַן  פאַפירענע בריק
קאַדיע מאָלאָדאָװסקי

הײַנט איז איבערגאַנגען מײַן פּאַפּירענע בריק
אָט די, וואָס איך גיי איבער איר צו מײַן גליק
אַ זעכצקיעריקע פרוי (שוין זעכציק געוויס)
מיט דערפראָרענע, באָרוועסע פֿיס.

מיר האָבן געטראָפֿן זיך, אַ ווײַלע געבליבן דאָרט שטיין.
איך גלאַט אַזוי, ווײַל איך האָב נישט געהאַַט ווו צו גיין
אונ זי האָט גערעדט, ווי צו מיר ונ צו זיך,
וועגן ברויט, וועגן האָלץ, וועגן שיך.

מײַן פּאַפּירענע בריק, איך האָב זי געבויט,
ווען נישט נאָר דער הימל– מײַן אויג האָט געבלויט,
און די זון איז געוועזן אַ גאָלדענע ראָד
און איר איינציקער וועג צו די פֿיס מײַנע גראָד.

האָב איך פאַרטראַכט זיך אַ שטוב און אַ בעט
און גאָלדענע טעג, און צעשטערנטע נעכט,
האָב איך פֿאַרטראַכט זיך אַ מאַן און אַ קרוין.
און פֿרילינגען גרין, און זומערן ברוין.

האָב איך פֿאַרטראַכט זיך אַ וועג און אַ בריוו,
און אַ כוואַליקן ים, און אַ ליכטיקע שיף.
האָב איך פֿאַרטראַכט דאָס געזאַנג פון די באַנען,
און בלויע מאַטראָזן, ווער ווייסט זיי פֿון וואַנען.

נאָר כ'האָב נישט פֿאַרטראַכט די שיך פֿאַר דער זעכציקיעריקער פֿרוי,
זענען מיר הײַנט דאָ געשטאַנען, געשמועסט אַזוי.
זי וועגן שיך, אַז עס פֿרירט איר די ביין,
און איך גלאַט אַזוי, ווײַל איך האָב נישט געהאַט ווו צו זיין.

No comments:

Post a Comment