Anna Margolin: Night Came Into My House (From Yiddish)

Night Came Into My House
By Anna Margolin
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

Night came into my house
with the roar of stars, of wings, of cataracts,
with the glow of fogs, of bogs, of long dirt tracks.
I lay tense and dark.
Trees came into my house,
Looming huge with trunks and roots earth-packed
And primeval deep glances of leaves from branches.
And bizarrely big clouds 
Came with thunder and laughter
Like the darkling heads of the gods.
All of them whirled barren wild and hard,
All of them wailed "you are, you are, you are".
I lay tense and dark. 

The Original:

די נאַכט איז אַרײַן אין מײַן הויז

די נאַכט איז אַרײַן אין מײַן הויז
מיטן געברום פֿון שטערן, וואַסערן, פֿליגל,
מיטן שײַן פֿון זומפּן, שליאַכן, טומאַנען.
איך בין געלעגן שטאַר און פֿינצטער.
ביימער זײַנען אַרײַן אין מײַן הויז,
גערוקט זיך ריזיק מיט וואָרצלען און שטאַמען
און אורטיפֿע בליקן פֿון בלעטער.
און ואָלקנס אויסטערליש–גרויס
זײַנען געקומען מיט דונער און לאַכן,
ווי טונקעלע קעפּ פֿון די געטער. 
און אַלע האָבן זיי געדרייט זיך שווער, און ווילד, און וויסט.
און אַלע האָבן זיי גערוישט: "דו ביסט, דו ביסט, דו ביסט"
איך בין געלעגן שטאַר און פֿינצטער

No comments:

Post a Comment