Akhmatova: To Death (From Russian)

To Death
By Anna Akhmatova
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

You'll surely come. So why wait anymore?
I'm waiting for you. I am through.
My light is out. My doors are open for
The simple wonder that is you.
So take whatever guise might strike your fancy:
Blast chemical weapons through my room,
Come quiet as the nightstick of a gangster,

Disease my throat with typhus fume,
Or be the bedtime story you once told
(The one we're sick of every night)
That I may see the law's blue cap1, the cold
House-porter's face in livid fright.2
I could care less. The Yenisey swirls by,
The North Star glimmers overhead,
And the blue glint in a beloved eye
Goes dark against the final dread.


Notes:
1 The blue cap of the uniform worn by the secret police
2 i.e. as he opens the tenants' doors for the inspectors when they come to round up suspects.

The Original:

К Смерти
Анна Ахматова

Ты все равно придешь. Зачем же не теперь?
Я жду тебя. Мне очень трудно.
Я потушила свет и отворила дверь
Тебе, такой простой и чудной.
Прими для этого какой угодно вид,
Ворвись отравленным снарядом
Иль с гирькой подкрадись, как опытный бандит,
Иль отрави тифозным чадом,
Иль сказочкой, придуманной тобой
И всем до тошноты знакомой, -
Чтоб я увидела верх шапки голубой
И бледного от страха управдома.
Мне все равно теперь. Струится Енисей,
Звезда полярная сияет.
И синий блеск возлюбленных очей
Последний ужас затмевает.

No comments:

Post a Comment