Théophile de Viau: Ode (From French)

Ode
By Théophile de Viau
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I hear the croaking of a crow.
A shade is thrust across my view.
Weasel and fox go two by two
Across the path where I must go.
My horse's hooves can walk no more.
My seizured footman is done for.
The thunder cracks into a roar.
My soul is out and hears the sound
Of Charon calling underground.
I see into the earth's own core.

The river runs back to the source,
Upon a belfry stands an ox,
The blood is trickling from the rocks,
The asp and bear have intercourse.
Atop an ancient tower, a fresh
Serpent devours a vulture's flesh,
Inside the ice the fire burns blue.
The sun is now a cold black ball.
I see the moon about to fall.
That tree has moved from where it grew.


The Original:

Ode
Théophile de Viau

Un Corbeau devant moi croasse,
Une ombre offusque mes regards,
Deux belettes et deux renards
Traversent l'endroit où je passe :
Les pieds faillent à mon cheval,
Mon laquais tombe du haut mal,
J'entends craqueter le tonnerre,
Un esprit se présente à moi,
J'ois Charon qui m'appelle à soi,
Je vois le centre de la terre.

Ce ruisseau remonte en sa source,
Un boeuf gravit sur un clocher,
Le sang coule de ce rocher,
Un aspic s'accouple d'une ourse,
Sur le haut d'une vieille tour
Un serpent déchire un vautour,
Le feu brûle dedans la glace,
Le Soleil est devenu noir,
Je vois la Lune qui va choir,
Cet arbre est sorti de sa place.

No comments:

Post a Comment